Friday, July 13, 2012

Names of God

Over the years, I have done several studies covering the names of God used in the Bible, and their relevance to us today. The past few days, I have been really struggling to keep my heart and mind focused on Jesus, so I decided to re-visit some of these studies, and simply say the names of my Savior in worship for who He is.

One interesting things about these names of God: in the Bible, people would often take the name of God, whether "El" or "Yahweh", and pair the name with a descriptive word that explained a certain characteristic of God. The following is the list that I have compiled from my studies, but I'm sure there are many more names of God listed. I have also listed the scriptural reference to the name, if possible:

Elohim= Triune God
El-Shaddai= God is enough; God is all powerful
El-Emet= God is true and dependable (Psalm 31:5)
El-Gibbon= Mighty God; heroic God (Isaiah 10:21)
El-De'a= God who knows (1 Samuel 2:3)
El-Kabod= God of glory (heaviness, weightiness) (Psalm 29:3)
El-Olam= God beyond what we can see
Yahweh= everlasting God (Genesis 21:33)
El Qanna= Jealous God (Deuteronomy 4:24)
El-Hay= Living God (Joshua 3:10)
El-Sela= God is my Rock (Psalm 42:9)
El-Nasa= God who forgives (Psalm 99:8)
El-Hayya= God of my life (Psalm 42:8)
El-Elyon= God most high (Genesis 14:22)
El-el= God above all gods (Daniel 11:36)
Adonai= God as authority/master
Immanuel= God with us (Isaiah 7:14)
Yahweh-jireh= the Lord will provide (Genesis 22:14)
Yahweh-rapha= the Lord who heals (Exodus 15:26)
Yahweh-tsedeq= the Lord our righteousness (Jeremiah 23:6)
Yahweh-nissi= the Lord our banner (Exodus 17:15)
Yahweh- qadesh= the Lord who sanctifies (Leviticus 20:8)
Yahweh-shalom= the Lord is peace (Judges 6:24)
Yahweh-rohi= the Lord is shepherd (Psalm 23:1)
Yahweh-ori= the Lord is my light (Psalm 27:1)
Yahweh-bara= the everlasting God (Isaiah 40:28)
Yahweh-sebaot= the Lord of hosts/armies (Jeremiah 11:20)
Yahweh-shamma= the Lord is there (Ezekiel 48:35)


Which name do you use to address God? Are there any good ones I missed? Let me know!




No comments:

Post a Comment