Saturday, November 7, 2009

Tell Me the Story Again: God is With Us!

We all know the story. Have been told it a thousand times over until it is drilled into our very core existence and we could recite it in our sleep: God sent Jesus into the world. During His time on earth, He healed those around Him and then died so we could make it into heaven. Then He rose again and lives in heaven where we can go someday if we put our faith and trust in Him.

Admit it. This is the summarized story you know inside and out. Often, when retelling the story, it sounds just as exciting as the above example. But as Christians, shouldn't we be excited to the point of absolute rejoicing at the story of our all-powerful God? Why do we so frequently find ourselves in a pitfall of indifference?

Lately, I have personally been in an indifferent trap. During church, my soul cries out for more God, but after the service is over, I go back into my routine of homework, facebook, doing everything in the universe except giving God the time He needs to speak to my heart without the chaos of the world getting in the way. I do alright by myself for a while, but gradually I realize that my life will be unraveling over the most insignificant things. I put self before my Savior, and those truths I have known to be black and white begin to fade into a haze of grey. I can't save myself from my apathy, this much I know is true. My only relief comes from turning back to my Father and just resting at His throne, allowing Him to speak to my heart according to His ways.

He always refreshes my soul and provides exactly what I need.

About a half hour ago, I read through the gospel of Mark. Honestly, read through this book a couple dozen times in my lifetime. Never thought it was anything significant. God chose to show otherwise. Really, the book is just an extension of the typical Christian summary we've memorized. But I challenge you to go read it, or any of the gospels, and truly meditate on the steps of Jesus's life.

God used an average, everyday girl to bear the Savior of the world. He was God, but He was also just a normal boy. This boy became a man. He showed the world His love through His actions. He WAS God, yet He spent His life in servitude to the least of the people, showing compassion for their needs and their hurts. He could have been flashy, showy, "Look at me, I created you!" towards the multitude. Instead, He lived a life of humility and taught through His wisdom and actions, all reflecting God's character. Even the smallest of children were encouraged to come sit on the lap of the man who had created them, given life to them and everything else on the planet, and just be loved by such a person.

Did those children remember that moment, being held in the arms of the Creator, for the rest of their life? Did those who had been healed of their diseases ever think back upon that ordinary man, obviously not so ordniary? Or did the actions of Jesus just become commonplace, good stories to tell to friends, but that was it? One man touched so many. Yet during one certain Passover, witnesses came forward in an attempt to end His life. The Master of the seas stood within their very reach, and they took His life away as though it was nothing.

Today, we tend to view the story of Jesus as "nothing". Maybe not literally, but it is one of those stories we know, remember for church services, then abandon until it is next needed. We go through weeks of self-living, seemingly forgetting that our lives were bought with a price and that, as Christians, we should live lives that would be pleasing to God.

God is very real, God is here, God is with us. When He walked on this earth among men, they lost sight of the fact that a personal, loving God was in their midst.

Let's learn a lesson from them and not forget that He is still God of the present tense.

No comments:

Post a Comment