Friday, July 1, 2011

MDA Camp 2011: The Crazy, Cool Catwomen"

Last year, I wrote a blog chronicling my week at Oklahoma's Muscular Dystrophy Association's annual summer camp, and all the blessing that God showered on me during that time. In reality, this week is the highlight of my year, and the blessings just keep multiplying every time I return to that beautiful little cabin at the end of the dirt road. So here's my chronicle of this year's camp! There was no painful drama like last year, no stubborn heart on my end as I hated the organization but loved my campers and had to go beyond what I ever believed I could do just to finish the week. In fact, this week went by like a dream, and went by so quickly that I didn't even have the chance to laugh or cry or feel much until I was driving home after a week away. This year, I was informed well in advance that I would be the cabin leader for C again; I was also informed that, for the first time ever, I wouldn't have my own camper, but rather, I would be supervising all 7 camper/counselor pairs in my cabin. Since this also meant that I got to love and spoil all 7 campers as if they were my own, I spent weeks before June 18th making bedsigns from paper collages and sewing capes so that my girls could fit the MDA Superhero theme of camp. Getting there went smoothly, camp went smoothly, for the most part. It was a beautiful week of watching in awe the beautiful young ladies my "camp babies" have grown to be, and falling in love with the quirky personalities of the other 4 ladies in my cabin. Even though I got minimal sleep and went constantly for a week straight, it was by far the best week of my year with more love all around than most people could even begin to imagine. I love my Cabin C ladies so much it hurts, and I look forward to many more years of memories to come as I get to observe them grow more in grace and beauty :)

And now....my list of memories from the week, as chronicled in the back of my camp scrapbook!


*While transferring Dea* "Katie, I feel like I have a squirrel in my mouth. Is that normal?"

Emily telling me I smelled bad...often.

Singing "Poor Wayfaring Stranger" to Dea

Katelyn and her love of scary stories!

"The Statuatory Rapist"...

"When I was a little girl, my grandma told me that milk comes from white birds!"

Getting dunked by Michelle to help accomplish Alex's goal

Friday gave me his Thunder bracelet in rival friendship, haha

SO much zebra!

Almost dropping Dea...twice...

Threatening to tape mouths into smiles!

Katelyn's warm fuzzies :)

"They can't even read. Why are they giving us books?!"

Friday fought valiantly against the vending machine even though he didn't remember whose drink it was. He lost the fight.

"Illegally" being in Cabin F, and interviewing any guy we could find to judge "List Potentials" ;)

The diving board...it's broken...

"I almost threw my Bible at you!"

Firework and Grenade. 50,000 times.

Paige and I sat on Laci's bed and screamed Hannah Montana, but she wouldn't wake up!

Emily, are you smiling?

Screaming "Rule #9!" At every possible moment.

Painting Transformers for Joshua :)

Literally flying out of bed. Every time.

Asking a Cabin D boy to dance...and he ran away he was dancing so hard!

AWKWARD.

Hua Dat?

Dea laying on my stomach to feel it gurgle

That one night I accidentally spat toothpaste all over the floor...

Katy's gory story...

Night of panic.

Getting to read Dea's poem with her at the talent show; highlight of camp

Having Katelyn almost discover "Happy Fish"

Return of the Taylor Swifts.

The infamous masks falling every few seconds!

"I hope you enjoy arts and crafts." "I hope your camper doesn't talk to you for 2 hours."

Laci was emo...Katelyn wanted to catch poisonous bugs...so we rode a boat together! :D

Jumping cape pic!

Best part of the day? Getting Dea showered.

"Your mom called. She said to bring back her phonebook."

Telling a scary story. About Bigfoot.

Was it worth it?

LOUDEST. ALARM. EVER. X2.

Emily threw her drink. Twice.

Writing backwards for shirt making!

Oh yeah, (insert statement), YEAH!

Serenading the girls when they arrived

Stealing Savannah's zebra!

Paige's encouragement and patience of Job

I stood on Dea's chair to jump in my bed and took out my hip. Karma.

Laci-rotations at the dance

Derek's cabin tally for bathroom use

Making up sign language for "squirrel in the mouth"

Having to tell Katelyn every day that we couldn't have cabin pets

SO many discussions about the Hangover

Swinging Dea like a baby from the Hoyer

Crying over my grown-up camp babies

SO many "broken rules"

Alexis brought her dog!

Dea and her bling!

Getting stuck with "Aqua Style" everytime on Boom-Chicka-Boom

The List included: Lee, Nathan, Garrett, Adam, Jamie, Daniel, Connor, Mike, and Collin. The order changed often.

Katelyn's ability to sound just like a dog

Sitting in the floor talking to my girls after lights out

Sleeping for all of Kung Fu Panda

"Nap Time"

Roberto was Emily's date

Payment with GUMMY BEARS!

SO much duct tape!

Getting to be the bad guy....hehe...

Savannah agreed to attend camp till she graduates if I'm her counselor :)

"Stupid Woodmen Camp, invading our grounds!"

If I Die Young

"It's frustrating. You are having meaningful conversations. I'm talking about trolls!"

Convincing Emily to stuff a jumbo marshmallow in her mouth

Paige told Laci that the thunderstorm was actually a distant drum circle, haha

Bathroom talks with Savannah

Daniel and Jamie fought for the title of "Best Accent"

Changing our song seconds before the talent show...

"You're gonna go home and tell everyone, 'A little black girl taught me how to Dougie...and she can't even walk!'"

Shelby flew off the golf cart that one night!

Musical beds during "Nap time"

Dea would hold my hand and told me she loved me everytime I helped her out :)

Absolutely SMASHING!

Yoga with Olivia, Colleen, and Paige

Animal Races! Everyone wins!

Cabin C got serenaded by people trying to earn their nametags

"I have a great idea for our skit, guys!" *I explain, then unanimously* "That's really dumb, Katie."

Worst Kool-Aid ever.

Maddie and her clams!

I'm Dea's 2nd mom!

Bilbo the Bear, and Alistair's affliction of "Cute Kid Syndrome"

No comments:

Post a Comment