Sunday, December 5, 2010

And I Wouldn't Change a Thing...

Tonight, I attended the Hanging of the Green at my church here in Lawrence, FSBC. This is a tradition in which the church family gets together on the first Sunday night of December to enjoy each other's company and decorate the sanctuary as we prepare our hearts for the Christmas season. It's a little bit cheesy, but I have loved it both years that I have attended. There's just something about the songs describing the simplistic arrival of the Savior of the world sung amongst fellow believers that makes my heart melt in gratitude and praise.

As I sat in the audience tonight, my heart traveled down many pathways of thought as I became still and let God fill my mind with His awesomeness. I thought back to where I was this time last year, and how different my life is from what I thought it would be even a year ago. So many times in my life, I have firmly believed that I had my entire life planned out, but God always has plans far greater than my own. In this past year, I have been challenged in my beliefs more than I ever believed possible. I lost many dear friendships that I had put too much faith into. I discovered the bad-parts of me, my faults and fears, and had to face them and learn to be better at this whole "human" thing.

Yet, I wouldn't change a thing. This year has shown me more than ever before how true and perfect God's love is for me. He just keeps showing me more and more just how much He loves me, and is constantly just filling my heart and soul with more grace and joy than I could ever fathom. Looking back at this emotionally-rough year, I praise God for all the storms. During the showers, I figured out exactly who I am, and I discovered how great my God is, and how great His love is, even for someone like me.

And that makes all the bumps along the way completely worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment