Sunday, June 2, 2013

I Can Tell That We Are Gonna Be Friends: Russia Venture Days One and Two

I'm pretty tired tonight, but thought I would give a quick update on my Russia journey before heading to get some much anticipated sleep.

I flew out from KCI yesterday at 10:17 a.m. (Graciously brought to the airport by my awesome boyfriend, Michael :) headed to Phoenix. I had a layover in Denver, then experienced an amazingly drastic temperature difference when I stepped off at my final destination in sunny Arizona. I've nev been to Arizona before, and in true Katie fashion, was pretty wowed by the desert/cacti scene.

Anyways, we met the whole team yesterday. Our initial discussion was to share one word on our feelings towards the trip. The word I chose was "apprehensive", largely in part to the fact that, while outgoing, I am more of an introvert, and being in a room with 10 new people was a bit daunting. Within 10 minutes of sharing my fears, though, I wished I could change my word. Every person on this trip seems so genuine and joyful, and I am confident that team unity will continue to blossom. I felt instantly comfortable with my circumstances, and was so glad to be accepted for everything I say and do. At several times in my life, I have seen people and instinctively began to mentally sing "I can tell that we a gonna be friends". This trip is no different. I am excited to see how these friendships that I sense will develop and what memories I will be treasuring in my heart years from now from these beginning days of our friendship.

And on another note of belonging.....today we talked about how Satan uses insecurities to attack us and make us less useful for God. I've never thought of myself as insecure, but then we talked about how everyone in a group, when asked, will feel that they are the ones on the outside looking in, I realized that summation can be said about many situations in my life. I have a tendency to feel like a black sheep, an awkward person, a girl who doesn't think like others think or doesn't know what to say during interactions. But, in this short time I've spent with the team, I truly believe that they are all seeking the best of us all and wanting to follow God. I am not left out, I am not insignificant, I belong here. I don't know yet what God has in store for me, but I rest in knowing that He will never truly finish completing a good work in me until I finally see Him face to face.

Ok, I'm so tired I'm seeing double. Please forgive me if that seemed like a lot of rambles,

Up next: leaving for Russia on Tuesday afternoon!

No comments:

Post a Comment