Monday, June 17, 2013

Russia Update, June 17th, 2013

Hello, world. Here's for another update from good ole Pushkin, Russia.

So, yeah. Updating is hard. I don't know what to tell ya'll, or what the important details are so far. I figure that the significant details will become apparent as time goes on.

We've been really busy with our English classes! They have been good, and it's been nice to get to know students better each day. I've gotten pretty used to our schedule: 6 am wake up for shower/quiet time, 8:15 am walk to school, 8:45 am breakfast, 10 am classes, 2 pm lunch, followed by excursion/sports/dinner/personal belief discussions. During those times we get to talk to the students on deeper levels of conversation than we would get to in the classroom alone. I've been laughing with my new friends a lot, and every evening when I go back to sleep in my really short bed with feet hanging off, I am grateful for the day and the opportunity to be here in Russia. I'm not feeling panicky anymore, which is AWESOME (thanks for the prayers!). I've actually started craving my daily dose of porridge and cheese bread, but can't say the same for the mystery fish meatballs. Anyways, I digress.

I could tell you of all the things I see and feel and experience, but I just don't have time to process it all and type it out. So I'll keep this short and do a bulleted list of the main things I'm learning/experiencing:

*spiritual warfare is real. I can feel my insecurities growing as I compare myself to others on this trip, knowing that I can never be as good as they are or as beneficial to the team. But then I realize that those are lies, and my adequacy comes from Jesus, not from myself.

*the more I get used to Russia, the better it is. I'm even starting to learn to read! Kinda. And things like not having toilet paper/paper towels or sleeping on a mattress with a board in the middle isn't the worst thing in the world anymore. It's exciting to be in a new culture, exciting to just be alive and take it all in.

*So this is silly, but a lot of skeptical people told me that God had me on this trip to force me to move to Russia as a missionary. But being here is re-affirming the path that God has given me, the path with music therapy. A lot of the skills I have developed in my classes are used here in teaching English, and I am getting this beautiful peace about where I am in life and what God will do in and through me in the years to come.

*As an outgoing introvert, I am getting really exhausted from constantly being around a huge group of people. But I know that if I stop going and doing and being, I will regret it. So I am going to do absolutely everything that I can in these next 13 days I have in this country, trusting God to be my energy and source of renewal.

*I definitely don't see myself moving to another country long term, but if any friends are doing so and want an American friend to visit for a week or two....hey? hey? hit me up. Traveling is fun :)

 

No comments:

Post a Comment