Friday, June 7, 2013

White Nights and Illiteracy

So I've been in Russia for about 2 full days now. It's still an absolutely breathtaking experience, but I'm definitely having to get accustomed to new things.

For instance....
*The sun doesn't actually really set in Russia. I went to bed last night at 10 p.m. and it was as bright as it was in the afternoon. It gets kinda dark around 3 a.m., but it still looks like twilight or sunrise.
*Toilets are flushed by a knob on the top of the toilet. Toilets also kinda spray everywhere if you don't shut the lid.
*For the first time in my life....I can't read anything.
*Porridge and soup. All day, e'rryday.
*There's a placed called "Megaburger" which is like Russian McDonalds. Except it's nothing at all like McDonalds. And there's a food called a "magic box" which is essentially a chicken wrap with multiple giant globs of mayonnaise. Thankfully I did not try this firsthand.
*A lot of Russian names sound similar or have similar roots. I met about 15 girls today with names all derived from some form of "Anastasia"
*Speaking of Anastasia, the palace where she died is across the street from where I am right now. No big deal.
*So there is a lot to get used to. But there's a lot of really neat things, too. So many beautiful things to see and so many kind people to meet.

Up next: Blinki party tonight with our ELP (English Language Program) students, trip to Peterhof with the same tomorrow, and classes beginning on Monday!

No comments:

Post a Comment